This week our focus in preparing for Christmas is Mary. Mary, the virgin mother of Jesus!
Luke 1:26-38 gives us a glimpse into the announcement and proclamation of what was about to happen to Mary.
We find a few glimpses into the simple person of Mary:
- Angel’s announcement takes place six months after Elizabeth becomes pregnant with John the Baptist.
- Mary lived in the village of Nazareth
- a virgin (mentioned twice)
- Betrothed (engaged) but not yet married
Gabriel announced specifics about the baby to be born:
- Mary will become pregnant.
- Mary will give birth to a son.
- The child must be given the name “Jesus,”
- The child will become a great person
- His title will be “Son of the Most High”
- He will inherit the “throne of His father David”
- His kingdom will never end
Just like Mary did not know what would happen in the next 34 years, neither do you or I.
But like her – we should be watching for what Jesus will do in our lives over the next 34 years (and 3 or 4 days)!
Jesus – the hope we have – the hope of Christmas!